Shark in You is Du Yun's debut recording under her pop diva alter ego, duYun. Recorded and produced in New York, Shanghai, and Montreal, Shark in You features duYun as a composer, producer, lyricist, and vocalist. The tracks are stylistically far ranging, from experimental dance music to Kurt Weill-esque neo-cabaret to jazz inflected electronica. She is joined by collaborators spanning the avant-garde global music spectrum, from fellow members of ICE (International Contemporary Ensemble), to experimental DJ Erik Spangler, and musicians in the underground Shanghai jazz scene.
released January 1, 2011
All songs produced by Du Yun (duYun) / ASCAP
1. written by duYun
2. written by Erik Spangler / duYun. Beat: Erik Spangler, Trumpet: JQ Whitcomb; Trombone: Andy Hunter, Bass: EJ Parker, Drums: Chris Trzcinski;
3. written by duYun / Erik Spangler
4. written by duYun / Erik Spangler, beats / Theremin/ Turntable: Erik Spangler
5. written by duYun; Trumpet: JQ Whitcomb; Trombone: Andy Hunter, Bass: EJ Parker, Drums: Chris Trzcinski; Keys: duYun
6. written by Gareth Flowers / duYun, featuring trumpets: Gareth Flowers.
7. Written by duYun. kazoo/accordion: Peter Hanson, Trumpet: Brad Henkel, Guitar: Dan Lippel, Drums: Cody Brown, Piano: duYun
8. written by duYun / Matt Haimovitz, Lyrics: Matt Haimovitz, Cello: Matt Haimovitz, Tabla/Percussion: Ziya; Piano: duYun
9. Written by duYun; Lyrics: Liz Duffy Adams; beats: Erik Spangler; trumpet: Peter Evans
10. Written by duYun / Erik Spangler
11. programmed by duYun; Lyrics from the traditional Irish Song, Johnny I hardly Knew Ye
12. written by duYun
All vocals and other gadgets: by duYun
Recording and Mix Engineers: Lu XiaoXing at Shanghai XiaoXing Studio, Shanghai, China, track 2 / 3; Pascal Shefteshy at the Multi-Media Room, McGill University, Montréal, Canada, track 8; Adam Scott, Track 9, NY; Du Yun, track 1, 3, 10, 11 NYC, Ryan Streber, track 7, 12 at Oktaven Audio, NY
Additional Mixing on all tracks and Post-Production: Ryan Streber at Oktaven Audio
Art Direction and Design: Victor-John Villanueva
Cover photo and doodles: duYun
Liners characters are snippets of lyrics from “興起 (if you say so…)”
Miranda was first released on Matt Haimovitz's CD Figment (2009).
Special thanks to Oxingale Records.
Track 7 was first appeared in Du Yun’s composed music for the silent film, Sage de Femme de Première Classe, for the retrospective of Alice-Guy Blaché. A Whitney Museum Live commission. Additional text by duYun
Du Yun (duYun) is grateful to Erik Spangler, Gareth Flowers, Matt Haimovitz, Victor-John Villanueva, Ryan Streber, Dan Lippel, Deng Pei 鄧裴, Nik Cesare, Claire Chase, Phil Moffa, all musicians, and Ricardo Romaneiro. (To my parents, 杜長在 ／ 蔣鳳娣， ～ from 杜韻)
New Focus Recordings is an artist led collective label featuring releases in contemporary music of many stripes, as well as
new approaches to older repertoire. The label was founded by guitarist Daniel Lippel (who is the current director) and composer Peter Gilbert in 2003, and features releases from many of new music's most active performers and composers....more